Sunday, November 23, 2008

Introduction, meet my lovely daughter, Catalene


English translation of the VLOG signed in ASL:
Hello, I am "Deaf Mother for All". My name is Terrylene. What do I mean by "Deaf Mother for All?" I am for all of these: I support the residual hearing in the child by promoting the auditory training. I support instilling English in a Deaf child by promoting his or her reading and writing skills. I support our precious natural and native language, American Sign Language. I support any parents who want everything for their children, using hearing aids, speech, ASL and even learning other foreign sign languages, as well as reading and writing in foreign languages. Why not? Sure! I believe our Deaf and Hard of Hearing (HH) children can!
I am a Deaf Mother for 17 years now. My son is 17 years old. He is Deaf. He is in high school. He was born hearing, and has a progressive hearing loss to his current status, profound Deaf. He use digital hearing aids, speaks in English, signs in ASL and he reads and writes beautifully. He is fluent in English(orally and written) and ASL.
And, this is Catalene. I will let her introduce herself.
Mom: Say Hello!
Catalene: Hello.
Mom: Who are you?
Catalene: I'm Catalene.
Mom: Oh, Catalene? Want to spell your name? Can you?
Catalene: I can't. I can't.
Mom: You can try?
Catalene: No, Noooo.
Mom: Let me help you, "C"
Catalene: No, no, I don't like it. I'm four! Four.
Mom: Four? How old are you now?
Catlene: Three.
Mom: That's right, Three! When will you become four? (signing Age-Four?)
Catalene: (Signing in numerical) Four. (Then for the first time she discovered the new sign, which she signs perfectly "Age-Four") I'm becoming four, I'm becoming four. (she was fascinated now signing with number three) I am becoming three. (looking at her own hand for three as numerical. NOTE: Observe Catalene's realization of difference in numberical and the concept in numerical signing in verb and utilizing verb to be.)
Mom: Birthday!?
Catalene: Yes, a Birthday cake!
Mom: She born as a hearing child.
Catalene: Yes. (Drinking lemonade)
Mom: Recently, I found out, she has a hearing loss. I want to share my perspective on Deaf Education. Reflections on Deaf Education, reflecting on the light and the shadows of Deaf Education, learning...
(Catalene playing with her lemonade cup and the camera)
Mom: I will explain more later...
(End of Vlog)
*Note: My son, Gianni is studying Latin for three years now. He is reading, writing in Japanese as well as signing in JSL (Japanese Sign Language.) He has desire to learn Italian and LIS (Italian Sign Language) this coming summer.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Terrylene!!!!

My heart melted while watching Catalene trying to figure out with signing - I'm three years old, and she is a ham just like you!

I am so thrilled that you are making this special blog focusing on your own personal reflections on Deaf Education, as a mother. Yes, I agree that each deaf child must have all kinds of opportunities as you stated on this video.

Ya da best!

Amy Cohen Efron

Dianrez said...

Oh, such a huggysome little girl! Welcome to blogland, Terrylene, and we are looking forward to discussion of your comprehensive approach to Deaf education in years to come.

All the best, and I remember your visit to Rochester for the Eastman showing of "Images". You rock, girl!

Researcher said...

You have such a darling daughter. She is a paragon of DBC; that is, two languages, ASL and English.

I saw a DBC video wherein you, Roz Rosen, and other VIPS presented a speech on the behalf of CAD. Very good one.

Keep up the good work with DBC. :)

Researcher said...

You are blessed to have such a lovely daughter. She will be
eternally grateful to you for
exposing bilingualism at her
early age.

I appreciate it very much that you
were amongst some VIPs who participated in the DBC along with the CAD members.